Friday, July 22, 2011

from VAMPIRE WIRE.blogspot.com

Lorelei Bell, author of VAMPIRE ASCENDING, Guest Blogs About Dark Shadows



Lorelei Bell, author of Vampire Ascending, contacted me and asked if she could blog here at Vampire Wire. Well, I checked out her site and saw that she had some opinions about the upcoming Dark Shadows movie, so I said, "Sure!"

Here's the summary for Lorelei's vampire novel novel:
Sabrina Strong is a Touch Clairvoyant who knows a secret. She knows her mother was turned into a vampire when Sabrina was ten. Now that she is grown up, a powerful magnate in the Chicago business world hires her to reveal the identity of who relentlessly murders vampires in his ultra-modern stronghold of a hotel. Sabrina is not thrilled about the aspect of working for vampires, but she needs the money, and she wants to find the gorgeous and mysterious vampire who has been turning up in her dreams.
So, welcome, Lorelei!

**********************************

What I hope the new movie Dark Shadows to be like . . .
and not.


Like many people who either are Johnny Depp fans, or fans of the original Dark Shadows show, I'm looking forward to the movie coming out this year.

I'm dating myself, but hey, I was a teenager when Dark Shadows aired on TV as a day time soap opera in 1966. It didn't start out with a vampire in the show, but once they introduced Barnabas Collins (Jonathan Frid), and the theme changed, introducing supernatural subplots at about the 200th episode, they really had something different for a soap. I do believe this was how I first got into vampires, back then. I would race home from school, like a lot of other kids, to watch it.

Since I've seen the storyline for Tim Burton's movie adaptation of the 1960's dark Gothic soap opera, I know that it is going to stay close to the original. It will begin a little further back in time and place, to the year 1752, where Joshua and Naomi Collins set sail from Liverpool, England with their young son, Barnabas, to start a new life in America.

I'm hoping that the movie will give us the Gothic overtones, the rich settings, and all the wonderful characters, and dysfunctional family members who harbor their dark secrets well—thus bringing in the live-in psychiatrist, Dr. Julia Hoffman. My hope is that the theme remains indelible, and doesn't borrow too much upon special effects for the various scenes with vampires and witches, etc.

Ah, yes. And no sparkling vampires, please!


**********************************

Thanks, Lorelei, for visiting Vampire Wire!

If you'd like to know more about Lorelei and her writing, visit her Lorelei's Muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment